Last Updated on October 1, 2021 by Jennifer Lorin
ZenBusiness is based in Austin, Texas, specializing in helping individuals and entrepreneurs form their own businesses using an automated, low-cost service.
ZenBusiness promises on its website to create an LLC for $49 + state fee and get you started in just five minutes with an inexpensive service.
Primarily, ZenBusiness is designed to do local and state filing paperwork when forming a business on your own. We are very impressed with these folks at ZenBusiness, and we have them ranked at the top of our list of The 4 Best LLC Services 2021
The question is whether ZenBusiness is right for you. What follows in this ZenBusiness review is a breakdown of their services, an examination of what they provide, and whether this is the right path for you to form your own business.
LLC Plans/ Prices + State Fee/ Time
Starter $49 Form in 1-3 weeks!
Pro $199 Form in 4-6 business days!
Premium $299 Form in 1-3 business days!
How ZenBusiness Works
The company itself is relatively straightforward in terms of what they do. ZenBusiness offers a filing service that is designed to be fast and low cost.
While you will have to pay any state fees associated with forming your own business, the preparation and filing of the paperwork itself are free when you use ZenBusiness.
Also, the company offers a personalized dashboard, so you can track your progress and support staff to answer your questions.
ZenBusiness – Background
ZenBusiness is a small company consisting of roughly 15 people who help others form their businesses. ZenBusiness was created from Corp Tech, a white label formation service designed to help small law offices find new leads for their services.
As Corp Tech was struggling to gain traction, the idea to create a new business model based on helping those wanting to start small businesses was formed.
The founders at Corp Tech teamed up with former HomeAway CTO Ross Buhrdorf, who became the CEO of ZenBusiness, and started the company. The next step was to identify what areas needed to be served with the new vision in place.
Digital Technology: Arguably, the most critical area was harnessing new technology to help make forming a business easier. The use of technology means that all the products and services the company provides helps those creating a business get everything submitted quickly and efficiently.
Support: It’s not surprising that many who start up a business have little to no experience in the requirements from local and state authorities.
This was an underserved area across the US, so ZenBusiness was designed to meet such challenges, provide expert guidance, and create low-cost pricing packages to help entrepreneurs and those wanting to create a small business get the help they need.
Verified ZenBusiness Reviews From Customers Posted On Trustpilot
ZenBusiness offers four packages, but it is recommended to start with the Starter package at $49. These plans are designed to meet the needs of your newly formed business. Each package offers different services depending on what is spent.
Basic: There is no cost to the Basic package as it allows you to use the services of ZenBusiness to create your solution. The services that are provided with the Basic package include the following;
- Search for Name Availability
- Filing and Verification
- Articles of Organization
The Basic package allows you to form your company in roughly four weeks, though the actual time may vary depending on the response time of the state agencies.
Starter – $49: Here, you get all the basic package services and more. The services included in the Starter package are as follows;
- Personalized Dashboard
- Registered Agent Service $99/yr (Optional)
- Chat Support in Real-Time
With the Starter package, you can expect your company to be legally formed in three to four weeks, depending on the response time of state agencies.
Pro – $199: The Pro plan is advertised as the most popular and offers everything that the Basic and Starter packages provide along with the following;
- Greater Speed of Formation
- Free CPA Consultation
- Operating Agreement along with Bylaws
- Employer Tax ID # (EIN)
- Compliance Guarantee
With the Pro package, you can expect your company to be fully formed in one to two weeks again, depending on the response time of state agencies.
Premium – $299: This is the top-tier package offered by ZenBusiness and includes everything in the Basic, Starter, and Pro packages along with the following;
- Free Quote for Insurance
- Chat & Monthly Support for Accounting
- Xero Account Software
- Business Bank & Email Address
- Privacy Protection for Domain
You can expect to be up and running in three to five days when you purchase the Premium package, depending on the response speed of state agencies.
Additional Formation Services
Filing Service: The service itself is free, although you will have to pay any state fees associated with the filing process. This means you receive the following;
- Business Name Verification
- File Articles of Organization
- Coordination with Your Secretary of State
- Show Confirmation in Your Dashboard
Operating Agreement – You get an operating agreement template for your company. This is the legal document for your LLC and creates an outline that defines the responsibilities of the owner, business members, and the working relationship between ownership, management, and employees.
Also, you can use the ZenBusiness website to research the cost of state fees from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The site is also helpful for those who want to add services to the package they have chosen.
Pros & Cons
- There are several advantages to using the services of ZenBusiness. Keep in mind that the company itself is designed to speed up and make more accessible the process of forming, running, and keeping compliant with your business.
- Customer Service: If you have a question, ZenBusiness offers easy access to get the answer. Their live chat services are perfect for questions about your billing or the essential services that are provided. Their support staff can answer the more in-depth inquiry.
- Ease of Use: Whatever package of services you choose, you are paying for convenience. This means that ZenBusiness takes care of the little things you otherwise would have to do when forming and running your business. For those who are busy or want to focus on other aspects of their company, ZenBusiness is a low-cost, effective option.
- Reputation: ZenBusiness has earned a strong reputation over the years for its customer service and the package of services they provide. The many positive verified reviews are from customers and business owners who have found their services right for their needs.
- There are no real downsides that are outside the services provided by ZenBusiness. It can be stated that what they offer is not necessary, but it is convenient, which you are paying to have done. So, you get what you pay for by choosing ZenBusiness.
- It also means that ZenBusiness is not for everyone. Depending on your needs, ZenBusiness may be perfect for helping your company get started, but their follow-up services may not be necessary. It will depend largely on the nature of your business, your experience in working with state agencies, and whether you can do some of the services provided yourself.
The advantages that ZenBusiness offers are considerable, but keep in mind that you can do most of it on your own without the help of ZenBusiness. If you are willing to put in the time and legwork, you can create your own business, file for an LLC, and do what is necessary to complete all the required paperwork.
Even for the higher-priced services, the monthly fee is relatively low and provides several options over the life of your business. However, you may find other more work-intensive options but less expensive than what ZenBusiness provides.
Still, for those who do not have the time or patience to do the work themselves, ZenBusiness is an attractive option. The packages they provide are low-cost. They handle the necessary paperwork. They can give advice and guidance that makes forming your own business somewhat more accessible and more understandable.
ZenBusiness may not be for everyone, but it is a low-cost option that avoids doing most of the paperwork required to form a business.
Addition Reading On LLCs and Corporations